Mexican Chocolate with the blend of warming spices is my absolute favorite! These delightful little cookies are a delicious and healthy treat!
1 & 2/3 cups Almond Flour
2/3 cup Savory Spice Store Mexican Cocoa Powder * see note
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
1 large Egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup Sliced Almonds, Toasted
1/2 cup Shredded Coconut, lightly toasted * see note
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat on medium speed just to combine.
- Reduce speed to low, add the flour mixture until combined
- Add the chocolate pieces and toasted almonds, mixing until combined.
- Shape the dough into a side plate sized disk, wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Place coconut in a shallow bowl
- Using a small ice cream scoop, measure out the dough, roll into balls and roll well in the coconut.
- Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet, these don’t spread much during baking.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until slightly cracked but still soft
- Move to a rack to cool, store in an airtight container.
- Mexican chocolate can be made with adding to 1 cup cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Coconut flakes are best unsulphured, if you can’t find the small flakes, buy the large flakes and pulse them in a food processor.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15