Silky smooth, melt in your mouth dessert that can be prepared ahead of time!
2 1/3 cups fresh Blood Orange juice (from about 8 blood oranges), divided
3 tsp. unflavored Gelatin, divided
3/4 cup Raw Sugar, divided
4 tsp. finely grated Blood Orange peel, divided
1/2 cup Plain Greek-style Yogurt
2/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tsp. fresh Lemon Juice
4 dried Juniper berries, lightly crushed (optional)
- Pour 1 cup juice into medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin evenly over. Let stand 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to ‘bloom’
- Stir gelatin mixture over low heat until gelatin dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons orange zest; stir until sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Strain into a medium bowl, pressing on solids. Discard solids in strainer. Cool juice mixture 10 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt, cream, and lemon juice into orange juice mixture until smooth.
- Divide among four glasses (Martini glasses work well).
- Chill until set, at least one hour.
- Prepare the sauce:
- Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of gelatin over the rest of the orange juice in a small saucepan and allow to bloom.
- Add the 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons orange zest and juniper berries, and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer until reduced to by half about, 10 minutes.
- Strain syrup into small bowl, allow to reach room temperature.
- Spoon some of syrup over each panna cotta and return to the fridge until set, about another hour.
- Garnish with a twist of orange.