The perfect ‘marriage’ of meatballs and vegetables in this classic Italian soup.
For the meatballs:
1-pound ground Turkey or Chicken
1-pound ground Beef
1 large Zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh Parsley
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan, freshly grated
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
2 tsp. Salt
Olive oil or Ghee for cooking
For the soup:
1 cup Yellow Onion,minced
1 cup Carrots, diced
1 cup Celery, diced
1 cup Turnip, peeled and diced
2 cups Tomatoes, crushed
10 cups homemade Chicken Stock
1/2 cup dry White Wine
12 ounces baby Spinach, Kale or Escarole, washed and trimmed
1 cup Basil Pesto
Prepare the meatballs:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well together.
- With a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (You should have about 20 meatballs)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add a little oil and brown the meatballs, set aside.
Prepare the soup:
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, add the chicken stock and turnip, bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh spinach, kale or escarole, and simmer for a few minutes, until the greens are just wilted.
- Taste for seasoning, ladle into soup bowls and serve with a dollop of pesto and a generous grating of Parmesan cheese.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian