I invite you to ‘Fall into Citrus’, with this delightful menu I created for the John Knox Village of South Florida.
Last Fall, I had the pleasure to travel to the John Knox Village to present at their ‘Active Aging Week’, packed full of amazing events for the residents to enjoy. Located in Pompano Beach on a 70 acre campus, ‘JKV’ as we call it for short is truly an incredible place!
Virtual Cooking Classes
Not letting the fun completely pass us all by, this year due to the limitations of the pandemic Active Aging Week was held virtually. I presented two live virtual cooking classes, on ode to Florida with the ‘Fall into Citrus’ menu and a second class ‘You Had Me at Chocolate’ (to be published soon!) complete with wine pairings!
Three Course Menu Made Easy
I invite you to enjoy the citrus themed three-course menu complemented by a by the ‘Citrus Bliss’ Cocktail featuring the exclusive Scout & Cellar ‘The Grove’ mixer.
The star of the show is the Tangerine and Olive Chicken Paillard finished off with a silky smooth Blood Orange Panna Cotta, yum!
Sweet, Sour & Bitter, a Perfect Flavor Dance!
Sweet citrus wedges, quick marinated, complemented by bitter greens and salty feta and topped with crispy prosciutto & citrus-balsamic vinaigrette. The salad appetizer to begin is simple to assemble yet with complex layers of flavor.
Sweet citrus wedges, quick marinated, complemented by bitter greens and salty feta and topped with crispy prosciutto & citrus balsamic vinaigrette
8 oz Mixed Greens, Arugula, Watercress, Spinach
2 Green Onions, finely sliced
4 oz Prosciutto, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Feta crumbles
1 tsp. Ghee or Olive oil
¼ cup fresh Orange & Grapefruit Juice
1 Tbsp fresh Lemon Juice plus 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
3 Tbsp. White Balsamic or Champagne Vinegar
1/3 cup Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt, to taste
- Peel the oranges and grapefruit, and working over a bowl to catch the juices, segment the fruit, and squeeze remaining juice from the rinds to use for the dressing.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, vinegar, and salt to the bowl, and add the olive oil in steady stream, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Add the citrus segments to the dressing for a quick marinade.
- Place the mixed greens in a bowl, tear into bite sized pieces, remove stems.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add a little ghee, add the prosciutto, and sauté until crispy, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the green onions, sauté a few minutes more.
- Toss the salad greens with just enough dressing to coat and divide among individual plates.
- Spoon the citrus segments over the greens, and top with the prosciutto and green onions.
- Finish with the feta crumbles.
*Should you wish to omit the grapefruit, any combination of citrus such as tangerines or Minneola’s will work for this recipe.
Join hundreds of insiders!
As a part of my email community you get the inside scoop on new recipes, cooking classes, and more!