Oh, the delight of indulging in crunchy delicious crispy baked chicken wings!
I must admit crispy baked chicken wings have always been my ultimate ‘guilty pleasure’ treat; the guilt part being concerned about the unhealthy deep frying, especially restaurant wings which most likely where made with dangerous hydrogenated oils.
Of course, there is always the option of oven baked wings, but somehow, they never quite hit the right crispiness spot, so I set out on a quest to create a recipe for crispy baked chicken wings, that skipped the deep fryer!
Many batches and tweaks later, the recipe is surprisingly simple, a blend of gluten free flours, baking powder and seasonings is all there is to it, in fact I keep a jar of this magic mix I my pantry labelled ‘Chicken Dust’, ready to be used in a bunch of recipes.
Baking powder you might wonder?
Turns out the baking powder (not to be confused with baking soda), raises the pH of the skin, draws out moisture and helps deliver that divine crispiness! A note on the baking powder, I highly recommend using a nontoxic aluminum free version.
The process is pretty straight forward, dust the naked chicken wings in the ‘Chicken Dust’, place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake until crispy, turning a couple of times. I tried this recipe with the wings on a wire rack, and found the result to be a little dry, placing the wings directly on the parchment paper allows them to crisp up in their own fat. I would however recommend the wire rack option for bigger wings.
These delicious crispy baked chicken wings are just perfect for game day, picnics, appetizers, or anytime! Here’s a clip of me making these crispy baked chicken wings live on the WCNC Charlotte Today Show ! I recommend serving them with Spicy Chipotle or Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces, made with Fresh Mason Jar Mayonnaise .
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings with Dipping Sauces
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 Lb 1x
The most crispy, delicious chicken wings are created without deep frying in this oven baked method.
- 3lb Chicken Wings (patted dry, about 24)
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour (also known as tapioca starch)
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder (aluminum free)
- 1 tsp. English Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Line a large full-size sheet pan, or two smaller pans with parchment paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the chicken and toss well to coat evenly.
- Shaking off excess flour, place the chicken in a single layer on the sheet pan.
Discard left over flour
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, flip pieces and cook 30 minutes more.
- Flip wings once again, baste with pan juices and depending on the size of the wings, bake until golden, a further 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauces.
Keywords: oven baked wings, crispy chicken wings, gluten free chicken wings
can those be fried w the mixture of rice flour, tapioca flour and baking powder and still yield super crispy wings?
I have used this mixture successfully for shallow pan frying, items such as chicken tenders, however I have not used it for deep frying. I’d love you to try it and let me know!