How to make the best chicken salad ever!
I have long been a fan of chicken salad, however I have an aversion to the goopy, mayo drenched deli versions so often found. This recipe is my version of years of tweaking to achieve chicken salad nirvana in a light, tangy, mildly curried dressing.
The secret to success relies on two key elements; first using roast chicken for the meat, shredded and bathed in the still warm pan juices ensures a flavorful start to the dish.
The second element is home made mayonnaise; store bought mayonnaise can definitely sabotage your chicken salad with dull, chemically flavors, (besides being loaded with preservatives and highly processed!) This version of mayonnaise made in a mason jar takes just minutes to make.
Switch up the seasonings as the weather and mood dictate, with the fresh, crisp Fall weather I am inspired to make a mildly curried version, enjoy!Print
Fresh Homemade Mayonnaise
Fresh Mayonnaise is a snap to make, with a few key steps and ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Category: sauces
1 Organic egg, room temperature
1 tsp. dried Mustard
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Olive Oil
1 pinch Paprika
Salt, to taste
- Place all the ingredients in the Mason jar
- Place the stick blender in the Mason jar, resting on the bottom, and begin blending, keeping it on the bottom until the mayonnaise begins to creep up the sides.
- Lift the blender slightly to blend through.
- Taste for seasoning. Store in fridge till needed.
- Equipment needed; pint size Mason jar, stick blender
- Note: This recipe contains raw egg yolk, dip the egg in boiling water before opening as salmonella contamination is usually on the shell. Know your source of eggs and proceed at your own discretion.
Curried Roast Chicken & Apple Salad with Cranberry
Lightly spiced mayonnaise adds a special flavor to this delightful salad
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 8
- Category: Salads
For the dressing:
1 cup Mayonnaise, fresh or store bought (see recipe)
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, plus zest
½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1-2 teaspoon Raw Honey
2-3 teaspoons curry spice of choice
Salt, to taste
For the salad:
3 cups roast chicken, shredded
1 cup red apple, finely diced
4 spring onions diced
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup finely diced celery
½ cup finely diced fennel
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Prepare the dressing:
- Blend just to combine ingredients, taste for seasoning. Store in fridge until needed.
Prepare the salad:
- Lightly toss together all salad ingredients and serve on endive spears, toast points, or vessel of choice for an appetizer, or over salad.