The holiday indulgences can leave one feeling rather sluggish and in need of a reset! A great way to detox your body in the winter months, is to include light, warming soups with thermogenic spices in your diet.
Chicken and pineapple together in a dish might sound like a rather odd combination; trust me, paired with spicy and salty Asian flavors, this warming soup is always a hit!
Pineapple is loaded with anti-inflammatory bromelain, and the healing spices ginger, lemon grass and chili.
The healing power of chicken broth is well known, collagen, proline and glycine help to heal and seal the gut. My recipe for Roasted Chicken Broth will make the extra step of making your own homemade chicken broth worthwhile!Print
Detox Chicken & Pineapple Broth Bowl
The key to this dish is homemade chicken broth, preferably from organic chicken (see recipe below). Don’t let the long list of ingredients deter you from making this wonderful detoxifying, healing soup; the taste is a flavor treat!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Soups
2 chicken breasts; sliced diagonally in strips
2 cups fresh pineapple small dice
3 cups fresh pineapple, rough chop.
¼ cup shallots, finely diced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2-inch stalk lemongrass; crushed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger; finely grated
2 cloves garlic; minced
3 tablespoons roasted red chili paste
1 tablespoon red curry paste
10 cups chicken homemade chicken broth
2 tablespoons fish sauce
¼ cup Organic Tamari soy sauce
2 tablespoons coconut Oil
3 spring onion; cut on bias
¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
¼ cup basil; cut into chiffonade
l lime juiced, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- Place the rough chop pineapple and 2 cups chicken broth in the blender and blend well.
- Strain through a fine sieve and set aside. (if you have a high-speed blender no need to strain)
- Place a large pot over medium heat, add a little coconut oil, add the shallots and garlic, sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms sauté until browned.
- Add the chili, curry pastes and ginger, stir a minute, add the chicken broth.
- Add the chicken broth, pineapple broth and lemongrass, bring to a slow simmer, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, cook until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add Tamari sauce and fish sauce, discard lemongrass stalk.
- Divide into large, deep soup bowls and garnish with lime juice and zest, green onion, cilantro and basil.
Keywords: detox soup, detoxifying soup, healing soup, autoimmune, Asian broth bowl, detox
Roasted Chicken Broth
Chicken broth is so popular for it’s healing properties, but can be rather pricey, and often tasteless store bought.
This method fr making chicken broth yields great results, and is economical.
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 9 hours
- Yield: 1 gallon
- 2 Gallons Filtered water
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs or similar brand)
- 1 Organic whole chicken, roasted dark meat chicken parts, chicken carcasses or combination of the above.
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 3 ribs Celery, rough chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled, rough chopped
- 1/2 bunch Parsley tied with string.
- 1 head Garlic, halved
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Cut the chicken open along the back, splay open and place on a large roasting pan.
- Roast until golden brown, approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- When cool enough to handle, strip off the breast meat, and most of the dark meat, set aside or freeze for a future recipe.
- Place the chicken and all other ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Skim the foamy fat off the top off the pot with a ladle.
- Let the stock simmer gently for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Cool, strain and discard the solids.
- Pour into freezer safe Mason Jars or containers, refrigerate or freeze.
There are many methods to make chicken broth, all of which yield great results.
- The first is to use a whole raw chicken, and simmer that, I prefer to strip off the chicken breast and use it in another recipe.
- The second is to use dark meat chicken parts or carcasses, roast those in a 450F oven with no oil until well browned about 45 minutes to an hour, this makes ‘express’ stock as it cooks faster.
- The third is to use the carcasses saved from roast chicken.
- Any combination of the above will work.
Keywords: chicken bone broth, roasted chicken broth