Earthy mushrooms with the rich, peppery flavor of the Puy lentils create a satisfying ragu, featuring Baharat spice and a fluffy white root vegetable topping. This recipe lists ingredients to make it vegan optional.
Ingredients: The Filling:
¼ Cup Dried Porcini, Oyster or Morel Mushrooms (approx. 5g)
1 Lb Assorted Mushrooms; Cremini, Shitake, Oyster, sliced
1 large Yellow Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 ribs Celery, finely diced
2 Carrots, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon Savory Spice Store Baharat Seasoning
2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
¼ cup Red Wine
4 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
1 cup French Puy Lentils
Salt to taste
Ghee or Olive Oil for cooking
Ingredients: The Topping:
1 Celeriac Root (approx. 1 Lb.), peeled and cubed
1 Rutabaga (approx. 1 Lb.), peeled and cubed
½ Head Cauliflower, large florets
2 Tbsp. Coconut Butter or Butter
¼ to ½ cup Almond Coconut Milk
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated (optional)
Salt, to taste
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with hot water and allow to soak.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add a little oil and sauté the fresh mushrooms until well browned, set aside.
- Add a little more ghee to the pan, add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, sauté until softened.
- If the vegetables stick to the pan add a splash of water to steam release.
- Add the seasoning, tomato paste, wine, broth, and lentils, bring to a simmer.
- Remove the dried mushrooms from the soaking liquid (save the liquid) finely chop and add to the pot. Add the soaking liquid, avoiding the sediment in the bottom.
- Add the fresh mushrooms back in, add two teaspoons of salt.
- Place the lid on the pot, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes while preparing the topping.
- Fit a large pot with a steamer basket, place the cubed celeriac and rutabaga in the pot, add water and steam for 20 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets, steam for 8 minutes more.
- Place the steamed vegetables in a food processor with the butter.
- Process, adding just enough milk to a smooth yet firm consistency.
- Salt to taste.
- Check if the lentils are done, they should be ‘al dente’, add a little more liquid if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Place the filling in a deep casserole dish, spoon the topping over.
- Sprinkle the cheese over if using.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Serve with Scout & Cellar Red wine, enjoy!
- Category: Main Entree