My absolute favorite thing to make is salads, and summer offers the perfect opportunity to dream up new recipes with the array of wonderful produce in season.
Today I held a field trip and cooking demo event at Tega Hills Farm, the wonderful assortment of lettuces and exotic greens grown by Mindy and her team provided the perfect canvas to inspire my salad.
Today’s’ blend of greens included buttery bib lettuce, crisp green mizuna,also know as Japanese mustard greens or spider greens, with peppery red mizuna and arugula for balance. Delicate micro greens and edible flowers added a special touch.
Bitters are Better!
I am a fan of including bitter greens in my salads, as they are so important to literally ‘get the juices flowing’ by stimulating the release of bile, saliva, digestive and pancreatic enzymes.
Not a sexy topic, however vitally important! Your health hinges on good digestive function, and is a key topic we cover in the Flourish 180 wellness class.
August is peach month in South Carolina, inspiring the pairing of golden, tree ripened peaches and free range chicken from The Peachstand for my salad.
An Asian spin in the Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette perfectly complimented the sweetness of the peaches. This dressing requires a little line up of ingredients, however totally worth the effort. A great dressing will elevate your salad, make extra and freeze in jelly jars for next time.
The finishing touch; salty whipped feta, simple crumbled feta blended with olive oil and spooned on to the salad, sublime!
I do hope this lovely salad graces your table,
Chef Carol GreenPrint
Ginger Peach & Chicken Salad with Whipped Feta
Sweet summer peaches, a gingery dressing over peppery greens, finished with salty whipped feta; a sublime plate!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Salads
For the Dressing:
2 Tablespoons fresh Lime Juice, plus zest
2 Tablespoons Organic Gluten Free Tamari Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon freshly grated Ginger
2 drops Stevia or 2 tablespoons Honey
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
1 cup Olive Oil
For the Whipped Feta:
1 Lb. Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Olive Oil
For the Salad:
3 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup sesame ginger vinaigrette
3 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
8oz mixed greens
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Prepare the dressing;
- Blend all ingredients except the olive oil.
- While whisking, slowly add olive oil to allow to emulsify.
- Prepare the chicken;
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Place the chicken in a casserole dish, and cover with a little dressing.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, allow to chill completely and slice into thin slices
- Prepare the whipped feta;
- Place the crumbled feta in a small bowl food processor or blender jug, with the motor running add the olive oil in a steady stream until the feta has a smooth whipped consistency.
- Briefly marinate the peaches in a little dressing
- Place the lettuce on a large platter and layer the chicken and peaches over.
- Using two spoons, place neat scoops of the whipped feta around the plate.
- Sprinkle with the green onions and almonds.
Keywords: Peaches, Chicken, Whipped Feta, Ginger Peach Chicken Salad