One of the most popular super foods on the planet, Kale earned this spot as it is truly a nutrition powerhouse, rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
A cruciferous vegetable related to broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts, kale is loaded with antioxidants including beta carotene, vitamins K, and iron. Kale is available in may varieties, such as the smoother straighter Lancino Kale, deep purple Kale, the bouncy curly Kale or ‘baby’ Kale, which is generally a blend harvested young.
Now we all know we should be eating this fabulous ‘food armour’, but quite frankly it quite often just doesn’t taste so great! The trick to enhancing the slightly peppery bitter taste of kale, is to blend it with sweet, crunch elements and a tangy dressing.
I this recipe, I blend the kale with crunchy Jicima, which is an amazing prebiotic food (feeding the good gut bacteria!), and bright golden beets, a great detoxifying food. To pretty up the salad I added watermelon radish in julienne strips, regular radish would work fine too.
Dress this fabulous salad with the tangy Cranberry Ginger Vinaigrette, enjoy alone, with a some protein added, or as a component to the ‘Bountiful Bowls’ recipe.
- 1 Bunch Lancino Kale
- 1 Bunch Curly Kale
- 2 Cups Jicima, peeled and shredded
- 1 Cup Golden Beet, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 Cup Fennel Bulb, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Watermelon Radish, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 Cup Kale Micro greens, for garnish
- Prepare the kale, tear the leaves away from the hard rib, and discard the rib.
- Tear or cut into bite sized pieces, rinse and dry well.
- Add a small amount of the Cranberry Ginger Vinaigrette
and work well into the kale.
- Add the additional ingredients, toss with jut enough dressing to coat, serve.
Kale is truly a nutrition powerhouse and one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. The slightly peppery taste is well balanced with crunchy elements such as the Jicima and tangy Cranberry Ginger Vinaigrette dressing.
- Prep Time:20 hours
- Cook Time:0 minutes
Join hundreds of insiders!
As a part of my email community you get the inside scoop on new recipes, cooking classes, and more!