A classic flan dessert gets an update infused with lemon and paired with a blueberry balsamic caramel sauce.
For the sauce:
1/2 cup Sugar
1 ¼ cup Blueberries
¼ cup Water
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
For the Flan:
1 ½ cups Whole Milk
½ cup Heavy Cream
4 large Eggs
¼ cup Sugar
½ tsp. Stevia
1 tsp. Lemon zest
Pinch of Salt
Prepare the Sauce:
- Place the sugar in a medium sized, heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat.
- Do not stir, but watch carefully, as soon as the sugar has melted, add the water, balsamic and 1 cup of the blueberries. (set aside ¼ cup to use for garnish)
- Stir until all well incorporated and a thick syrup has formed, set aside.
Prepare the Flan:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until well incorporated.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well.
- Add water to the steamer basket set up, and place over high heat.
- Place one to two tablespoons of the sauce in each ramekin, and swirl to coat all sides.
- Fill each ramekin with the egg custard, place in the steamer basket, cover, lower the heat and allow to steam gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the basket and allow to cool. The flan can be enjoyed warm, or cold.
- Add the reserved blueberries to the rest of the sauce.
- Run a small knife around the inside edge of the ramekin to release it.
- Invert onto a plate, garnish with a little more sauce, and serve.
Special equipment needed:
6 ramekin dishes
Pot with steamer basket, or ‘Bain Marie’ (waterbath) for oven baked version.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: flan, dessert, egg custard, thames farm, blueberry balsamic sauce