I am so fortunate to have the most amazing hydroponic farm right here in my back yard in Tega Cay, SC!
Fresh, crisp buttery lettuce, peppery watercress, delicate micro-greens; Tega Hills Farm grows the most amazing specialty produce to supply the area restaurants, and open to the public too.
Growing hydroponically in tunnels means this incredible bounty is available year-round, and can be grown pesticide free, irrigated with nutrients to yield nutritious crops.
I believe in knowing where your food comes from and seeking out the best your area has to offer, so this week I held a small group field trip outing and cooking class for my Taste of Healing clients at the farm. Mindy took us on a fascinating tour of the tunnels, explaining some of the techniques and challenges to growing bumper crops year-round.
We got to sample these fabulous lettuces, after the tour I set up a table and whipped up a salad for breakfast, with a class on salad dressing techniques.
A selection of Tega Hills Farm lettuce, red oak leaf, baby kale, sorrel and micro-greens with asparagus was lightly dressed in my favorite Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette.
A crepe like omelet, filled with basil and goat’s cheese, rolled up and thinly sliced topped the dish; a simple, yet elegant dish to grace your table. Don’t let this roulade technique deter you, it’s really fun to make!
Would you like to be included in my next cooking class? Drop me a line at email@example.com to be added to the list.
I hope you enjoy this lovely dish,
Omelet Roulade Herb Salad
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Lovely as a brunch or lunch, a fabulous salad with sliced omelet over lightly dressed buttery lettuce and lemon vinaigrette dressing
For the salad:
Yield 6 servings
6 fresh Eggs
1/2 tsp. dried Mixed Herbs
1/4 tsp. Paprika
8 Basil Leaves, chiffonade cut
Pinch Sea Salt
1 4oz log Goats’ Cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil or Ghee for cooking
10 Spears Asparagus
12 oz Mixed Salad
For the dressing:
¼ cup fresh Lemon Juice
¼ cup Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Olive Oil
2 drops Stevia or 1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. fresh Parsley, diced
Prepare the dressing:
- Blend all ingredients except the olive oil.
- While whisking, slowly add olive oil to allow to emulsify
- Set aside
Prepare the Salad:
- Beat the eggs well, add in seasonings
- Prepare and set aside the salad
- Prepare the asparagus; lightly steam and slice on the diagonal.
- Heat pan to medium high, add a little coconut oil.
- Pour egg mixture in to form a thin layer. With heat proof spatula, lift edges to allow egg to run underneath.
- When almost set, sprinkle with goat’s cheese and basil
- Using a spatula, roll up the omelet and slide onto a board, slice into 2cm pieces.
- Toss salad with dressing, serve asparagus and omelet roll pieces on top.
Any blend of lettuce to your liking can be used.
- Category: Salads