Oh how I love to create summer salads with the bounty of produce available! This week I took a trip out to Bush ‘n Vine Farm in York, SC , a generations old farm producing a variety of amazing fresh produce.
Summer tomatoes are great on their own, however this technique of slow drying the tomatoes yields an intense flavor, to make your salad pop! These versatile tomatoes can be used in salads, with pasta, or as a side accompaniment.
Bush ‘n Vine Farm produce a variety of legumes, for this recipe I used pink eye peas, which have a wonderful nutty flavor, along with roasted corn and a classic balsamic dressing.Print
Oven Dried Tomato Salad with Roasted Corn & Pink Eye Peas
Oven dried tomatoes add an intense depth of flavor to this summer salad, well worth the effort!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: salads
OVEN DRIED TOMATOES
12 firm Tomatoes such as Roma or Plum
2 cloves Garlic
3 stems fresh Thyme
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. Honey
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
pinch of Salt
24 oven dried Tomato halves
3 Ears Corn
3 cups Pink Eye Peas
3 stems Green Onion, finely diced
8 oz Mixed Dark Green Salad Leaves
1/2 cup Basil Leaves, chiffonade cut
1 4oz log Goats Cheese, crumbled
Prepare the oven dried tomatoes;
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Wash the tomatoes well, and cut in half lengthways, remove the stem.
- Place cut side up on the baking sheet.
- Slice the garlic cloves finely, and scatter over the tomatoes.
- Remove the thyme laves from the stem, chop finely and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Spray the tomatoes with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray in the oven for one hour at 350F
- After one hour, lower the heat to 200F and leave in the oven for five hours.
- Allow to cool, place in the refrigerator.
Prepare the dressing;
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the oil
- Slowly add the oil while whisking, allow to emulsify, set aside.
Prepare the pink eye peas;
- Place the peas in a medium saucepan, cover with water and add a pinch of salt
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, until the peas are tender.
- Drain, rinse, and immediately add just enough dressing to coat the peas.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate.
Prepare the corn;
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Shuck the corn, and coat with a little olive oil or ghee.
- Place in a roasting pan in the oven, and roast for 20 minutes, turning twice.
- Allow to cool, and cut the corn off the ears.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Assemble the salad;
- Toss the salad greens and basil together with just enough dressing to coat
- Place on a large platter or individual plates
- Scatter the corn, peas and green onion evenly over the greens.
- Place the tomatoes evenly over the salad, drizzle with a little extra dressing.
- Scatter the goats cheese over the tomatoes and serve.
Keywords: oven dried tomatoes, summer salad, pink eye peas