Brownie meets pecan pie in this innovative dessert, you’d never know the base is super healthy black beans!
Brownie Base Ingredients:
1 15-oz can black beans rinsed and drained
3 large Eggs
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
¼ cup unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
⅔ cup Coconut Sugar (or reduce sugar to 1/3 cup, add 1/2 tsp. Smart Monk)
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Pecan Pie Topping:
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Coconut Sugar (or reduce sugar to 1/4 cup, add 1/2 tsp. Smart Monk)
1 1/2 cups Pecans, rough chopped
1/4 cup Coconut Cream or Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Puree black beans in food processor into a rough paste.
- In a large bowl, mix the bean puree, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan with grease and line with parchment paper.
- Pour in batter and bake for 25 minutes, while preparing the pecan topping.
Pecan Pie Filling:
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar.
- Bring to a low boil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, being careful not to let it burn.
- Stir in pecans, heavy cream or coconut cream and salt, remove from the heat
- Remove the brownies from the oven, and spoon over the topping.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Allow to cool, cut into squares.
- Store brownies covered at room temperature.
To cut down on the sugar in the recipe, a natural sweetener may be substituted for part of the recipe. My recommendation is to use stevia or monk fruit, I cover these in this article: