Purple Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Citrus Goat’s Cheese & Wilted Greens
Packed with vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants, purple sweet potatoes are nutritious along with the wow factor of the gorgeous vibrant color.
Transformed into little parcels of sweet potato happiness, these gnocchi bites are light and fluffy, complimented perfectly with citrus and bitter greens.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Entree
For the Gnocchi:
2 pounds Purple Stokes Sweet Potatoes
1½ -2 cups Gluten free all-purpose flour (approximately)
1 Egg, beaten
½ cup fresh Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1 teaspoon Orange Zest
½ teaspoon Savory Spice Store Barnegat Bay seasoning
½ teaspoon Salt
For the Citrus Goats Cheese:
1 10 oz log Goat’s Cheese
1/3 cup Olive Oil, approximately
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley
Salt to taste
For the Wilted Greens in Citrus Butter
1 bunch Broccoli Rabe, rough chopped (or greens of choice)
1 clove Garlic, smashed and finely minced
1 stick Grass-fed Butter
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoons fresh Orange Juice
½ teaspoon Savory Spice Store Barnegat Bay Seasoning
¼ teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash the potatoes, pierce each one a few times with a fork, place on a roasting pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes (depending on size), until they are soft and collapsed.
- While this is cooking prepare the rest of the gnocchi set up and sauce
- Prepare the Whipped Citrus Goat’s Cheese:
- Place goats’ cheese and seasonings in a food processor, add oil with the motor running to achieve a whipped consistency
- Place in refrigerator until serving.
- Prepare the Sauce:
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat, add a little butter and the oil, add the garlic and broccoli rabe, and sauté until wilted, for around five minutes.
- Add the orange juice and seasoning, melt in the rest of the butter in small pieces until combined.
- Continue with the gnocchi:
- Blend the egg, ricotta and seasonings together.
- When the sweet potato is cool enough to handle, slice open and scoop out the flesh.
- Work the sweet potato through a potato ricer, or mash with a fork.
- Mix the sweet potato and ricotta mixture together, fold in the flour a little at a time until a firm consistency is reached, and the dough is no longer very sticky.
- Roll into a large log and cut into quarters with a pastry cutter.
- Roll each piece into a smaller log, about 1 inch thick and cut into smaller ¾ to 1” pieces with the pastry cutter.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with a towel or flexible cutting mat. Fill a pot with 5 quarts of salted water and bring to a simmering boil.
- Form the gnocchi; use the side of a box grater, a butter paddle or a fork, dip the end pieces in flour and roll off the utensil of choice to form the dumplings; place on the prepared tray.
- Lift and bring together the corners of the towel or mat, and gently drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. Cook until the dumplings float to the top, two to three minutes.
- Retrieve with a slotted spoon or strainer, and immediately toss through the sauce.
- Serve, garnish with the citrus goat’s cheese and finish with grated parmesan.
- Note: The gnocchi can be prepared and rest at room temperature lightly covered up to two hours, or frozen.
- If cooking from frozen add an extra two to three minutes to the cooking time.
Keywords: Purple Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Antioxidant, Healing Food