Light, fresh and crunchy, with zippy of Asian flavors, this gorgeous, versatile ‘slaw prepared live on the Charlotte Today Show is a far cry from the traditional goopy, mayo dressed version.
I usually make this slaw with chicken, for this light and bright spring edition with shaved fennel and mango I paired it with the most gorgeous seafood from the amazing Saltwater Market, stores in Clover, SC and Gastonia, NC.
If you are local to the Carolinas and haven’t paid a visit to Saltwater Market, I highly recommend you do, spectacular, fresh seafood and meats grace the cases, the likes of which I would expect to find at a premium market in New York!
Faroe Island Salmon, from the pristine cold waters of the North Atlantic, and local Gulf shrimp where the perfect compliment for this unusual slaw. Perfect as a make ahead salad to grace your summer buffet, or plated individually.
Shaved Fennel & Mango Seafood Slaw
A whole new take on ‘slaw, fresh and crunchy, with a light Asian dressing, and burst of herbs, perfect for summer entertaining.
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 8
- Category: Salads
½ cup fresh Orange juice
1 cup Olive Oil
½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Honey
1 tablespoon fresh Ginger; finely grated
½ head White Napa Cabbage; finely sliced
½ head Red Cabbage; finely sliced
1 Fennel Bulb finely shaved with a vegetable peeler
1 Mango, firm, finely shaved with a vegetable peeler.
4 Spring Onions, sliced
1 Sprig Mint, finely julienned
4 Sprigs Cilantro, finely chopped
3 tablespoons toasted Sesame Seeds
16oz Faroe Island Salmon
1-pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, set aside
- Preheat the oven broiler to high
- Prepare the seafood; thread the shrimp on to skewers for easy handling
- Place the salmon and shrimp on a broiler pan, brush lightly with oil, season with salt, and place under the broiler.
- Broil the shrimp for approximately three minutes per side, the salmon for seven to eight minutes
- Remove the shrimp from the skewer, place in a bowl and immediately toss with a little dressing
- Pull apart the salmon into large flakes, and toss with a little dressing
- Mix together salad ingredients, toss with the dressing, and the seafood
- Place on a large platter and sprinkle the sesame seeds over.
- A non-mayonnaise slaw, this is a great make ahead dish, as it can be dressed a couple of hours in advance
- In this recipe the seafood is simply broiled, it can also be grilled for an added touch.
Keywords: Asian seafood slaw, summer slaw