Shiitake Mushroom, Roasted Butternut & Kale Risotto
The earthiness of the shiitake mushrooms pairs wonderfully with sweet roasted butternut in the healthy Fall comfort food vegetarian dish. The addition of dried mushrooms to the dish further intensifies the mushroom aroma.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 60
- Yield: 8
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into 1” dice
- ½ cup (0.25oz) dried oyster or porcini mushrooms
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced (8oz)
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 8 cups vegetable broth heated
- tablespoon Savory Spice Store Barnegat Bay Seasoning
- 4 stalks Lancino kale, stripped from stem and sliced
- teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F, place the butternut on a roasting pan, cover with a tablespoon of ghee, lightly salt, and roast or 20 minutes until tender, stirring once or twice.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl, and cover with three cups hot water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, reserving the mushroom broth, remove the mushrooms and finely chop.
- Add the reserved mushroom broth to the vegetable broth.
- Heat a large, deep sauté pan over medium high heat, add two tablespoons of ghee to the pan, and sauté the mushrooms until browned, approximately four minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the onion and garlic and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add a little more ghee to the pan, add the rice and stir for a minute.
- Begin adding the hot broth, one ladle at a time, stirring continuously until incorporated.
- Add the seasoning and thyme, and continue adding broth while stirring, until the rice is tender yet still a little firm, approximately 20 to 25 minutes total cooking time.
- Add the kale and stir until wilted.
- Add the cooked butternut squash, and approximately half a cup of grated cheese.
- Stir in the parsley, and taste for salt.
- Serve, and top with extra grated cheese.
Keywords: fall comfort food; shiitake mushrooms; healing food; autoimmune; risotto; roasted butternut and shiitake risotto