Turkey Roulade, the Perfect Holiday Main Entrée
Succulent heritage turkey breast, filled with a delicious sausage, apple and sage stuffing, and rolled up into a neat roulade, blanketed in prosciutto, yum!!
This, my friends, is how you do a delicious and truly spectacular take on the Holiday turkey main entrée, that will truly make you look like the gourmet at home!
Let’s face it, a whole bird might look good on display, but after hours keeping your oven hostage and the struggle to carve, you’re often left with overcooked breast meat and figuring out what to make with the leftovers.
This turkey breast roulade is not only looks spectacular sliced, it is the perfect do ahead dish and absolutely delicious!
Sustainably Raised by Ferebee Farm
My recipe is made with the heritage breed, truly free range turkey from Ferebee Farm in Rock Hill, SC. The farmer, JC is passionate about raising heritage breeds in a sustainable, chemical free grass based environment, allowing the livestock to roam and forage.
The result is a product with superior taste, and all the better for knowing the animal was not fed GMO feed and administered artificial hormones or steroids.
Sausage, Apple & Sage Stuffing with Mulay’s
The stuffing for the roulade is a spectacular blend of Mulay’s Italian sausage and crisp pink apples with the anise accent of fennel and the classic holiday flavor of sage.
The Mulay’s sausage difference is sausage products produced using only the best ingredients with centuries old family recipes. I am so thrilled to partner with Mulay’s to create recipes with their products which are made with the highest quality, antibiotic free Heritage pork with the best quality spices and no fillers, trust me, the you can taste the difference!
The recipe below makes a double batch of stuffing, bake the extra as a side dish and watch it disappear!
(Enter coupon code TOH5 for 5% off at Mulay’s )
Step by Step Holiday Meal Guide
Taking on techniques like deboning a whole turkey breast may be a little daunting, so I created a step by step guide with a series of helpful videos.
With this guide you will learn to master the technique of deboning and butterflying the turkey breast, and rolling and tying the roulade with ease.
My goal is to help you create a gorgeous meal, but also be able to arrive at the table without feeling frazzled!
My Three Course Holiday Meal Plan guide includes this recipe plus a full three course menu with a step by step by step guide and video instructions to help you with advance preparation and the exact order to make the dishes to bring it all to the table at once.
I know you’re going to love this guide, you can be a gourmet at home!Print
Turkey Breast Roulade with Sausage, Apple & Sage Stuffing
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A heritage turkey breast deboned and filled roulade style with a delicious sausage, apple, and sage stuffing. The stuffing recipe yields extra, popular baked as a side dish.
1 3-4 Lb. Turkey breast, bone in.
4 oz. Prosciutto, thinly sliced
1 Kitchen String roll
1 Fennel stalks and fronds
4 ribs Celery
4 Tbsp. Butter
5 Honeycrisp or Pink Lady Apples, cored and chopped
1 cup Fennel Bulb, finely chopped
2 cups Yellow Onion, finely chopped
4 cloves Garlic, smashed
2 Tbsp. fresh Sage, finely chopped
12 oz. Mulay’s Hot Italian Sausage
12 oz. Mulay’s Mild Italian Sausage
Salt, as needed
- Debone the turkey; working on a cutting board, turn the breast skin side down and begin carefully removing the meat from the bone along the cartilage.
- Repeat on both sides, and release the bone from the meat, keeping the skin intact.
- Save the bone to make stock for a future recipe!
- Lay the turkey breast on the cutting board skin side down and make small cuts lengthwise to the thickest part of the meat.
- Cover with a heavy-duty plastic bag, and gently pound out to even thickness.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet, remove the sausage from the casings, and sauté until browned, breaking up the large lumps.
- Add the fennel and onion, sauté until the onion is translucent, add the garlic.
- Add the apple and sage, taste for salt.
- For advance prep, allow the stuffing to cool completely, if cooking immediately this may be used hot.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cut three 4-foot lengths of kitchen twine
- Place spoonsful of the stuffing on the flattened turkey breast, leaving a space at end which will be rolled up last.
- Roll up the turkey breast lengthwise
- Cover with slices of prosciutto.
- Tie at one end with the kitchen twine, and using a loop, tie up the roulade, adding more twine as needed.
- Place in a roasting pan on a bed of celery and fennel stalks.
- Tent with foil and place in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and baste with the butter.
- Increase the heat to 400F, place the turkey roulade back in the oven and roast until crispy and browned and the internal temperature is 165F
- Allow to rest before slicing remove the string.
- Use the pan drippings for the gravy.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Category: Main Entree
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Holiday menu, Thanksgiving, Turkey Breast, Turkey Roulade
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Mulays Sausage and Ferebee Farm.