A heritage turkey breast deboned and filled roulade style with a delicious sausage, apple, and sage stuffing. The stuffing recipe yields extra, popular baked as a side dish.
1 3-4 Lb. Turkey breast, bone in.
4 oz. Prosciutto, thinly sliced
1 Kitchen String roll
1 Fennel stalks and fronds
4 ribs Celery
4 Tbsp. Butter
5 Honeycrisp or Pink Lady Apples, cored and chopped
1 cup Fennel Bulb, finely chopped
2 cups Yellow Onion, finely chopped
4 cloves Garlic, smashed
2 Tbsp. fresh Sage, finely chopped
12 oz. Mulay’s Hot Italian Sausage
12 oz. Mulay’s Mild Italian Sausage
Salt, as needed
- Debone the turkey; working on a cutting board, turn the breast skin side down and begin carefully removing the meat from the bone along the cartilage.
- Repeat on both sides, and release the bone from the meat, keeping the skin intact.
- Save the bone to make stock for a future recipe!
- Lay the turkey breast on the cutting board skin side down and make small cuts lengthwise to the thickest part of the meat.
- Cover with a heavy-duty plastic bag, and gently pound out to even thickness.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet, remove the sausage from the casings, and sauté until browned, breaking up the large lumps.
- Add the fennel and onion, sauté until the onion is translucent, add the garlic.
- Add the apple and sage, taste for salt.
- For advance prep, allow the stuffing to cool completely, if cooking immediately this may be used hot.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cut three 4-foot lengths of kitchen twine
- Place spoonsful of the stuffing on the flattened turkey breast, leaving a space at end which will be rolled up last.
- Roll up the turkey breast lengthwise
- Cover with slices of prosciutto.
- Tie at one end with the kitchen twine, and using a loop, tie up the roulade, adding more twine as needed.
- Place in a roasting pan on a bed of celery and fennel stalks.
- Tent with foil and place in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and baste with the butter.
- Increase the heat to 400F, place the turkey roulade back in the oven and roast until crispy and browned and the internal temperature is 165F
- Allow to rest before slicing remove the string.
- Use the pan drippings for the gravy.
- Category: Main Entree
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Holiday menu, Thanksgiving, Turkey Breast, Turkey Roulade