Crisp, sweet watermelon paired with cool, crunchy cucumber and finished off with a tangy lime mint vinaigrette create the perfect summer salad as a side dish or a main event.
I created this dish to take along to a summer get together yesterday, and it was the perfect take along dish, the watermelon marinated a little in the dressing, sweetening it up and balancing the flavors.
Choose hearty curly leaf or lacino kale as the perfect foil for this salad, this type of kale holds up well to a little marinating.
Watermelon radish, finely julienned adds a little bite to balance the sweet watermelon, and lastly, creamy feta, the perfect finishing touch.
Limes are one of my favorite ingredients to use in a dressing, for this recipe I used the juice, zest, and for an added depth of flavor a drop of lime essential oil.
I hope you enjoy this super flavorful summer salad!
For the salad
- 2 Cups Watermelon, 3/4" dice
- 2 Cups English Cucumbers, 1/2" dice
- 4 Cups Kale, finely shredded
- 1/2 Cup Watermelon Radish, julienne cut
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
For the dressing
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tsp Lime Zest
- 2 Tsp Fresh Mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tsp Tamari Sauce
- 1 Drop Lime Essential Oil
Prepare the dressing:
- Whisk together all ingredients except for the oil.
- Add the oil in a slow steady stream while whisking, to emulsify.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings accordingly.
Assemble the salad:
- Toss together all ingredient, except for the feta cheese.
- Allow to marinade at least half an hour, or up to two hours.
- Sprinkle feta on top and serve.
by Carol Green