White grapes, cucumbers and apples marry together in this fabulous late summer gazpacho. Oh how I do love a cold soup, especially when it requires not firing up the stove in the seemingly endless summer!
For this creation, presented live on the WCNC Charlotte Today Show, I used raw cashews as a substitute for dairy, soaked and blended at high speed they yield a delightfully rich cream, you won’t even miss the dairy!
The perfect finishing touch for this dish is the Hickory Smoked Trout from Sunburst Trout Farm in the beautiful North Carolina mountains. Sustainably raised in the pristine mountain waters from the Shining Rock National Wilderness, without hormones or antibiotics, the trout is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids.
Sunburst Trout Farm offers a wide variety of trout products, available for purchase online or at select outlets. The smokiness of the Hickory Smoked Trout was the perfect compliment to the cool, crisp white grape and cucumber gazpacho.
Chef Carol Green, NTP
White Grape & Cucumber Gazpacho with Hickory Smoked Trout
A light and delicate gazpacho, perfect as an appetizer course contrasted with the Sunburst Hickory Smoked Trout. This recipe is dairy free made with freshly made cashew cream, real dairy cream could be substituted.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 4
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soups
1 ½ cups raw Cashew Nuts
2 cups White Grapes washed and frozen
1 large English Cucumber, rough chopped
1 Green Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and rough chopped
1 stalk Green Onion chopped
2-3 Tbsp. White Champagne Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic, finely zested
3 Tbsp. Dill finely chopped
½ tsp. Paprika
¼ tsp. Cumin
Sea Salt, to taste
¼ cup White Grapes, sliced
¼ English Cucumber, finely sliced
4 small Dill Sprigs
½ cup Cashew Cream (reserved from recipe)
8oz Sunburst Farms Hickory Smoked Trout, broken in large flakes
Prepare the Cashew Cream:
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl and cover with filtered water and a pinch of salt; leave on the counter to soak for four hours.
- Drain the cashews, and place in a high-speed blender with 1 cup of fresh filtered water and a pinch of salt.
- Blend on high speed for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cashew cream for garnish.
Prepare the Gazpacho:
- Place all the gazpacho ingredients in a food processor, and process for approximately one minute, until blended but still slightly chunky.
- Taste for seasoning
- Serve in shallow soup bowl, garnish a swirl of cashew cream and top with approximately 2oz of the trout.
- Finish with slices of cucumber, grapes and dill sprigs.
If using real dairy, cut the amount by half, as it may overwhelm the flavors.
Keywords: White Grape and Cucumber Gazpacho; Sunburst Trout; Hickory Smoked Trout; Omega 3 Rich; Cold Soup; Detox; Vegan Soup