Sweet, sour, salty, bitter hot, and the fifth element ‘umami’; a wonderful play of flavors come together in this warming, detoxifying Fall soup.
This creation was made on site at J & J Family Farm filming with the CN2 Today Show ]. I had great fun creating this recipe with the array of produce grown by Jennifer, the super fresh just picked shiitake mushrooms and lemon grass leaves, and garnished the dish with the gorgeous edible flowers.
Comfort food season is here, and with the cooler temperatures ‘comfort food’ eating can easily derail the best intentions. This delicious soup is warming, healing and detoxifying, and a great immune booster!
Add this to your winter routine to help you keep trim and healthy,
Chef Carol Green, NTPPrint
Lemongrass & Shiitake Miso Zoodle Bowl
A wonderful play of flavors come together in this warming ‘zoodle’, zucchini noodle soup bowl, ginger, garlic refreshing lemongrass contrasted with the earthiness of shiitake mushrooms.
Homemade chicken broth, preferably from organic chicken elevates this dish to a new level, store bought broth could be substituted. (see broth recipe below)
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soup
Homemade Chicken Stock
This recipe makes extra to freeze and keep on hand for soups
- 2 Gallons Filtered Water
- 1 Tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs or similar brand)
- 8 Organic Chicken leg quarters/or several Chicken Carcasses
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 3 ribs Celery, rough diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled, rough diced
- 1/2 bunch Parsley tied with string.
- 1 head Garlic halved
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Shallots, finely diced
- 3 cups Shiitake Mushrooms, finely sliced (8 oz)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Ginger; finely grated
- 2 cloves Garlic; minced
- 1 tsp. Sambal Oelek Chili Paste
- 2 quarts Homemade Chicken Broth
- 2 stalks Lemongrass Leaves; crushed, or 4 Lemon Balm Leaves
- 2 cooked Chicken Breasts; shredded
- 1 Tbsp. Miso Paste, to taste
- 1 tsp. Fish Sauce
- ½ tsp. Sesame Oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 medium Zucchinis, spiraled into zoodles
- 2 Spring Onions; finely cut on bias
- ½ cup Sugar Snap peas, finely cut on the bias
- ¼ cup Cilantro, roughly diced
- ¼ cup Basil; cut into chiffonade
To make the stock:
- Preheat the oven to 400F, place the chicken parts on a roasting pan, and roast until golden brown, turning once, approximately 40 minutes.
- Place the chicken and all other ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Skim the foamy fat off the top off the pot with a ladle.
- Let the stock simmer gently for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Cool, strain and discard the solids.
- Portion into freezer safe mason jars and refrigerate or freeze.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat, add the coconut oil, and sauté the mushrooms until browned, approximately three minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the shallots and sauté until softened.
- Add a little more oil if needed, add the ginger, garlic and chili, sauté a further minute or two.
- Add the broth, chicken and lemongrass, bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the miso paste, fish sauce and sesame oil, taste and salt as needed.
- Add the zoodles, allow to heat through and serve immediately.
- Divide into deep soup bowls and garnish with the sugar snap peas, green onion and herbs.